EtherCAT is a high-performance, low-cost, easy to use Industrial Ethernet technology with a flexible topology. The only hardware required by the master device is the on-board Ethernet controller.
That means that with just a standard Ethernet port, a master device can implement a hard real-time network solution. The Ethernet controller is integrated via Direct Memory Access (DMA), so no CPU capacity is required for the data transfer between the master device and the network.
The EC-Master protocol stack is sophisticated, high-performance EtherCAT master software out-of-the-box available on many NXP® i.MX based Toradex SoM boards.
- How to setup the EC-Master master stack software on a Toradex iMX8 System on Module (SoM)
- Which tool you could use to help configure the slaves and manage the network configuration
- How to access the process data (inputs and outputs) of a specific slave device
- The steps to compile, modify and run the example application
- Monitoring slave states, viewing input values and forcing outputs