Torizon OS 6.4.0 Quarterly Release
Previously named TorizonCore, this is the first release under the name Torizon OS. This change was made to simplify communication and understanding. Development workflows, code and Yocto recipes will remain unaltered.
Torizon OS is our operating system that powers Torizon, a DevOps platform that simplifies the development and maintenance of embedded Linux software. Torizon OS is designed to be used out-of-the-box on devices requiring high reliability, allowing you to focus on your application instead of on building and maintaining an operating system.
Torizon uses software containers, making it simple to add functionality to your system in a way that is both secure and easy to maintain. Torizon supports hardware acceleration in containers and graphical user interfaces.
This release includes all updates from the previous 6.x.y TorizonCore releases.
Updates and Highlights
- Initial Support for Verdin AM62 modules
- Secure Boot: Improvements in U-boot hardening options
- Device drivers included as a module:
- Enable the MAX31855 thermocouple on Torizon OS 6
- Enable Linear Technology LTC1660 and LTC1665 DACs on Torizon OS 6
- Enable kernel config support for NTC thermistor sensors
- Enable kernel config support for the SHT40 humidity sensor
- Enable support for the Texas Instruments PCM1681 CODEC in Torizon OS 6
- Enable support for the Vishay Semiconductor VEML6030 High Accuracy Ambient Light Sensor on Torizon OS 6
- Important bug fixes:
- Updates from BSP 6.4.0:
- Please also note that Torizon OS is built on top of the Toradex BSP Layers for the Yocto Project. Read the BSP Layers and Reference Images for Yocto Project release news to learn more.
Debian Packages and Containers
- Debian Containers for Torizon:
- Containers rebuilt against the Debian 12.1 release
- Qt 6 Debian packages and containers released with HW acceleration
- Important bug fix: iMX8 devices sometimes fail to start a GUI on boot with the error "Could not make device fd drm master: Permission denied"
The Torizon OS 6.4.0 Quarterly Release is a production-grade release.
Therefore, if you are in production with TorizonCore 5 or earlier TorizonCore 6 releases, we recommend moving to this quarterly release.
- Debian Containers for Torizon
Experimental Debian Bookworm containers with support for the Verdin AM62 modules are being published on Docker Hub with the major tag “4-rc“ and validated by our automated and manual tests. The new containers are still experimental and may have limited functionality.
- VS Code IDE Extension
Support for Torizon OS 6 has been added to the IDE Extension 2 since the quarterly release 6.2.0.
- Remote and Offline Updates
Upgrade from TorizonCore 5 to Torizon OS 6 using the Torizon updates - either remote or offline - is possible since TorizonCore 6.2.0.
To upgrade to Torizon OS 6, all users will need to first upgrade to the patch release 5.7.2. The workflow will look as follows:
- TorizonCore 5.7.0 or older → TorizonCore 5.7.x patch release → Bootloader upgrade → Latest Torizon OS 6 release
- Secure Boot: A new Yocto class for building images with secure boot enabled was introduced. It is possible to do a Yocto build of TorizonCore with partial secure boot chain of trust. Complete support is expected in the next releases.
A quarterly release is a production release, intended to be used in a production environment only with volume products, as long as they are supported by Torizon OS. We run a set of tests to validate them. Learn more about our release types from our Embedded Linux Support Strategy.
- Volume products: Apalis iMX6, Apalis iMX8, Colibri iMX6ULL 1GB, Colibri iMX6DL, Colibri iMX7D 1GB, and Colibri iMX8QXP
This release is intended to be used in production on these modules.
- Sample products: Verdin iMX8M Mini, Verdin iMX8M Plus, Verdin AM62, and Colibri iMX8DX
Due to the hardware status being “sample”, this release is intended for development.
For Verdin, only the second generation of Verdin products is supported.
Press Release:Join Toradex at Japan IT Week Spring 2024
New Release:Torizon OS 6.5.0 Quarterly Release